Sunday, October 13, 2013

THE DISTINCT VISAGE OF RAMLEELA

                With winter around the corner and the petrichor getting more intense, a sudden excitement starts building as the festivals start getting more frequent in the calendar. The first to knock on the door is Dussera or Vijaydashmi. Associated with this festival is the common practice of organizing Ramleelas. There is absolutely no need for anyone to elaborate on what it is, how it is and what goes on in it because it is very innate in our culture and our lives. As a kid I remember having visited the nearest Ramleela, to my home, almost each day. The street food, the magic shows, the shoddy caricatures of Essel World rides, the swords, arrows, bows and not to forget the theatrical depiction of the Ramayana.  Playing at the backdrop of all these activities were the melodious bhajans in the mesmerizing voice of the late ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh. Those were the good times.
                Nowadays, Ramleela has been reduced to a minuscule of its old self. The bhajans have been replaced with crass cacophony, the street food stalls are deserted with the arrival of big brands, the children don't find the ancient warfare tools are interesting as the new gizmos and Ramayana is portrayed by soulless individuals. The entire fair looks like a chaotic gathering, as if the soul of the Ramleela has been drenched and the jamboree is just a customary ritual.   
                An air of artificiality prevailed when I entered the Ramleela ground in my city. Hawkers were buzzing around humming some gibberish which somehow was related to the merchandise  they were selling.  Moving on I saw a great divide between the old version of the fair and the new, between the people who were startled by the color of the fair and people who were disgusted at the sight of what they thought to be too local for their taste, in short the stereotyped divide between the rich and the mediocre. The rides were deserted and no body seemed to care about the theme of the fair. I felt claustrophobic, even in a big ground as it was and rather than the frolic I experienced as a child the entire canvas of the Ramleela irritated me.
                Being an avid fan of theater I decided to watch the Ramayan on stage. This was the last chance I was willing to to give myself to still believe that the horrendous show would still poses some elements of yesteryear's that would help it linger on to its former glory. However, yet again, I was dispointed and disgusted, as what I saw in the name of the depiction of the epic was a complete third class caricature with absolute nincompoops acting on the stage and raping the esteem these naataks have amassed over the years.
                I am short of words to pen a conclusion to this misadventure of mine. I have had a special emotional association with the Ramleela since childhood. It was my stress buster during and after the half yearly exams, it was the time when I used to meet my friends and enjoy imbecility at its purest and highest form, it was an opportunity at marveling the obedience of Ram, the loyalty of Hanuman, the thundering voice of Ravana and the devotion of Seeta. But now,  it is a not even a speck of dust of its former past. And as far as my question of visiting it next year is concerned, well all I can do is nothing but recollect a saying from the Buddha - Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment