Sunday, October 27, 2013

DURGA PUJA - AN EXPIRIENCE AT C R PARK


The city of joy Kolkata is 1479 kms from New Delhi, but during Vijay Dashami  the entire Bengal seemed to have taken over Delhi in terms of the ambiance, specifically at C R Park. As I entered the place, the beats of the dhaak took over me and I felt enchanted. The entire area was decorated like a beautiful bride endowed with beauty, grace, glitter and mesmerizing belle. The whole place was swarmed with devotees of Maa Durga who had come to celebrate the victory of good over evil. Amidst all the grace and vigor there was this peculiar challenge, which pandal to chose? For those who are unaware of what a pandal is, like I was earlier, it is fabricated structure, either temporary or permanent, in a religious ceremony. The fact that I refer to it as a challenge is because every pandal had a flavor of its own and an aura that was distinct and wonderful.
Finally, I, getting rid of all confusion, decided to enter a pandal that was the nearest. The first sight was that of a behemoth statue of Goddess Durga depicting the slaying of the demon Mahishasur. It was difficult to get eyes off such a admirable sight. Near the statue there were young and old alike, all dancing to the beats of the dhaak. On the stage the organizers were busy with the pujari, when suddenly the people were made aware of the arrival of social activist and Chief Ministerial candidate for coming elections, Arvind Kejriwal. He very aptly used the occasion to further profess the agenda of anti corruption and was swarmed by media and common people alike. He projected himself as the crusader of anti-corruption movement and predicted his victory. After his departure the function continued with the same vigor as before.
Apart from  the worshipping, the pandals were loaded with eating outlets. My personal favorites were phuchkaa and chuskee. There lot of food items were available for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians and some shops were even there for the promotion of their brands. The devotees were dancing in trance and it was a beautiful sight to witness. I spoke to a lot of people about the significance of this time of year in general and in their respective lives and in turn got some wonderful answers. All in all, the experience was unique and wonderful and though I have not been to Kolkata ever I have got an idea as to what it would feel like to be there at this time.
মে দেবী দুর্গা আমাদের সব আশীর্বাদ এবং আমাদের মন, শরীর ও আত্মা থেকে মন্দ বাছা (may Goddess Durga bless us all and eliminate the evil from our mind, body and soul).



No comments:

Post a Comment